Thursday 7 March 2013

RootsTech 2013: The Brits are coming

Two weeks today is the start of America's largest genealogy conference, RootsTech 2013, where I am proud to have been selected as an official blogger. As this is my first trip to both RootsTech and Salt Lake City, I am not entirely sure what to expect, but I shall be blogging and tweeting while I am there to keep all my followers up-to-date with my impressions, news and gossip.  I also hope to have the chance to interview some speakers and attendees, aiming to focus on international issues. 

My interest in RootsTech started when I was able to watch many of the live streamed broadcasts last year, from the comfort of my own home.  Over the course of the following few months, I started to feel that, as a professional genealogist, I wanted to to attend this important conference in person.  I knew Audrey Collins, of The UK National Archives, had attended before and when she told me she would going again this year (albeit in a private capacity), I decided to book my conference place, my flight and my hotel.  This was back in October 2012.


Then at last months Who Do You Think You Are? live, I discovered that, in addition to Audrey, a number of other UK genealogists would also be attending RootsTech this year, including:



  • Else Churchill, of the London-based Society of Genealogists will be attending and also giving a talk at the Family History Library the day before RootsTech, entitled "Treasures of the London Society of Genealogist On Site and Online".  
  • Bruce Durie, founder and ex-Director of the Genealogical, Heraldic and Palaeographic Studies Programme at Strathclyde University, where yours truly studied for the PG Certificate and Diploma.
Of course there may be other UK Genealogists attending RootsTech 2013, whom I am not aware of (or dare I say I might have forgotten about).  If you are British and heading off to RootsTech 2013, do please let me know.  

For those who cannot attend in person, there will be live streamed sessions as in previous years.  Please keep an eye on the RootsTech website for more details.

For those who are going, I'll see you there!


Rosemary Morgan 
London Roots Research

Disclosure:  As an Official blogger for RootsTech 2013, I have received a complimentary registration for the conference.  This does not influence my views or opinions of the conference or the sponsors in any way. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rosemary
    I am lecturing on "THe English Parish Chest" in the Family History Library on the Wednesday following Else
    Regards
    Alec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I guessed that slot might be you, but for some reason it's not showing the speaker's name yet. Looking forward to catching up.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the Brits! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Amy. So many US genealogists / bloggers to try and meet.

      Delete
  3. The Commonwealth will have about a dozen reps from downunder too. Look forward to catching up with the Brits.

    I'm excited that another foreign Official Blogger will be in the Media Hub. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and I'm very grateful to have an experienced Official Blogger to give me tips!

      Delete
  4. I notice that Calico Pie have a stand at Rootstech. Wonder if that means more Brits will be there. (I'm a Family Historian user).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it probably means that the Calico Pie people will be there, unless they have a US agent. I don't use FH as I'm a Mac user myself.

      Delete
  5. In the FH newsletter it was announced that Simon Orde will be there.

    ReplyDelete